Thursday, July 31, 2008

John Paxson: Why I Hate the Hustle

Bulls fans, let's hear it for John Paxson. A true NBA pioneer with a lovable glimmer of retro in both his own personality and in the makeup of all his mediocre Bulls rosters since '02.

I hate the hustle. I can't stand to root on Joakim Noah's development when his maximum potential looks something like Bill Lambier with Rodman's **** in his ass. I can't stand to root on Andres Nocioni while he's getting 8.5 million annually to bitch and wine, rebound and take charges. Talk about potential- he'll never be anything more than what he has shown he can be and he'll especially make sure to eat up as many of Deng's minutes as he can. I could go on but I'll let you do that for the rest of our heavy on the hustle, weak on the talent roster.

I've never been more unappreciate of the white guy who rebounds and plays lockdown defense until this day. I never needed to say it before, but it seems unclear to Mr. Paxson...so to my chagrin I will iterate bluntly- the white guy is a complement. Shouldn't talent always be somewhat of a scouting priority? Alright, I'm getting to worked up- again, I'll let everyone else continue the conversation.

But for a feat thus far unaccomplished and a strategy us white guys hated to love, let's give a round of applause to John Paxson. I would have never thought I'd say this five years ago, when the background of my computer was a split-screen of two encouraging images for the future of our franchise: Pax drilling "the" shot alongside a uniquely palpable handshake with Reinsdorf symbolizing the ushering in of a new era--but here it is: John Paxson you have failed me. I have had your back since day one and you have done nothing but lead me astray. Nothing but lead me into the wilderness where it is dark and okay to think the white man is the future of the NBA. Now you have a 15 man roster of 7 guards and somehow you're going to have to hash out how many minutes can be eaten up by Larry Hughes and taken away from Derrick Rose. Thanks for making me have to defend the potential of a frontcourt consisting of Tyrus Thomas, Joakim Noah, Aaron Gray, and Drew Gooden.

Thanks for making me lose faith, John Paxson. And for that, I will never forgive.

5 comments:

Stormin' Norman Disciple said...

1. You're racist
2. You're wrong about the talent, there is talent. Hughes was a mistake, yes, but everyone else is good or could be good. They are all so young!
3. Pax signed Deng to a deal that makes sense. He has a good young core that can compete now.
4. Good post, but stop hating white gym rat guys. Where art thou, Jeff Hornacek?

His Jesusness Shuttlesworth said...

I've prided myself on an appreciation for the white gym rat guy.
The point here is that Pax has fallen in love with a formula as well as a before-seen and common case of falling in love with the roster he built. He has become too loyal and lost sight of the fact (excusing rose with the umistakable number one) that you need players to win. Half these guys have an unforseeable and what will seemingly be eternally dissapointed potential. How much time can we keep giving players? It seems to me that we are waiting on everybody's development.

I hate to be so critical but how long can management hold out guys like thomas, sefolosha, and noah? It seems like the baby bulls all over again. Excluding Hughes, we an average of less than 2 years of NBA experience.

His Jesusness Shuttlesworth said...

the real question you have to ask yourself is...have we really made any progress since Pax took over in '03?
I think there has been success, but I dont measure success by just playoff appearances and I hope any self-respecting Bulls fan has greater expectations than that over a 5 year period with what was deemed a quality roster.

Top Ten Nominee said...

I understand your frustration, but where were we in the years after Jordan and before Pax. Now that was a test of faith.

RIP Kornel David

Stormin' Norman Disciple said...

The difference has been astronomical since 2003. We never won more than 35 games in the post-jordan era. I don't think anyone would say they are satisfied with just a playoff run, but you can't win a 'ship overnight. Even the championship bulls of the 1990s had their struggles in the 1980s.

Remember when Pete Myers was going to be Jordan's replacement? Mmmm Mmmm good.

free counters

Unique Visitors Counter