Monday, September 15, 2008

Hurricane Zambrano Decimates Houston

Considering the actual devastation of Hurricane Ike I know the title of this post is pretty classless, but I don't care. I was at the game last night. It was history. Amazing. I don't even know where to begin breaking it down. I'm just going to list some notes from the game:

1) Zambrano was dominant. There wasn't a moment where we thought he was going to blow it. The only two plays that were a bit tight were D-Lee's leaping grab and DeRosa's running catch. I haven't watched the highlights, but it just felt like everything was a groundout or strikeout. Not many balls out of the infield.

2) That being said, there was a tension throughout the field starting around the 6th inning and extending until the last pitch.

3) I went with three other guys. Our attendance guesses on the ride up? 8,000, 12,500, 14,000, 17,000. The real attendance? 23,000+. All Cubs fans. I mean completely Cubbie blue from end to end. There were a few Brewer fans there and literally a handful of Astros fans. It was a greater percentage of Cubs fans than I see at most home games! Unreal support for Z.

4) I don't know how this Astros team is hot. I literally have not heard of about half their lineup.

5) Miller Park is a great place to see a ballgame. I've been there before but I don't remember it being this awesome. I guess I didn't see a no-no last time though. Anyways, when the roof is closed the whole place smells like a bakery. The brats and dogs are amazing. If you get the nachos, be sure to get the nachos supreme. The sweetened nuts were amazing too (insert gay nuts joke here).

6) When Zambrano struck out in the middle innings, he almost broke the bat over his leg, but then stopped himself. We were thinking that this was the meltdown, but Big Z remained focused and didn't let his emotions take over. It makes you wonder how many of these he could have had if he stayed focus and how his game will improve as he continues to mature.

7) My voice is gone and I'm 'hungover' from the experience still. This is the first no-hitter by a Cub since Milt Pappas threw one in 1972. I just want to use this forum to tell my dad: We all know the story about you seeing Kenny Holzmann's no-hitter in 1969. You always talk about it and remind us of the unlikelihood of us ever seeing a no-no. Well I saw one pops! It was fucking sweet.

8) The ticket to the game itself (which I'm framing) is really funny. It's a Miller Park ticket with the Brewers logo on it and it says Cubs vs. Astros.

9) Soriano's leadoff homerun was great. It was a no-doubter and set the tone for the magical night.

10) Yes StevieY19, I still think it is magical season. It's not a joke, I'm serious.

One of my friends who was there videotaped the last pitch and the ensuing celebration. I will be posting that video as soon as I get it. Congratulations to Zambrano on his first no-no. May there be many more to come. Go Cubs.

CUBS MAGIC NUMBER: 7

Here's a copy of the scorecard from Bleed Cubbie Blue:

No comments:

free counters

Unique Visitors Counter